Strict Data Typing

Learning Actionscript 3 over the past year or so, I must admit I've been of the mindset: Why the @$%* should I bother with strict data typing? It's so restrictive. And it's messy! And all cluttery. So much extra typing...seems like a waste! However, working with some AS code written by a proper flash developer, I can't help but notice that EVERYTHING is typed. Functions are marked as :void when they don't return. And so on. So I forced myself to do some reading on why I should bother. A very nice post I found here has me considering perhaps following the existing convention in this code.

http://www.stevenhargrove.com/strict-data-typing/

I suppose I'll stick to it for now, give it a try. Do you have thoughts on the matter? Please feel free to cuss me out in the comments!

0 comments:

Post a Comment